We unloaded Mouse from the trailer. Stood around for a short time waiting on the Dr. to finish up with an appointment he had ahead of us. While we were loafing in the aisle of the barn. The Dr. introduced himself. He had one other appointment before he could get to us. Told us to make ourselves comfortable and he’d be right with us shortly. A real nice, soft-spoken individual, whom made us feel right at home. Makayla was lurking from stall to stall looking at the other horses. Bringing my attention to everything else but, what we were there for. Kids certainly do have a way of getting side-tracked. It was okay, though. This wasn’t her first rodeo, but it was exciting to see horses other than ours.
It was our turn next. The Dr. asked for a brief history of his progress over the past 10 days. He, then asked the technician to move him up and down the barn aisle. Dr. Arnold wanted to see how he was moving. Still limping slightly on his right front. Normal on his left front. What has been the most surprising of all. Mouse had quite bobbing his head from the pain. This was great! It meant he was much better from his previous visit. Not getting my hopes to high off the ground. I watched and listened to the vets. explanation of his progression. He explained, “if we are going to be able to tell how Mouse is going to be in the future. I need to take more x-rays”. I told him to go ahead with the procedure. He took several. A couple of views laterally and then several of the navicular bones. He took a look at the x-rays from 10 days ago side by side with the ones he took today. He was pleasantly surprised, and with a huge grin on his face. Said “he is 50% better than last time”. Showing me the differences was astounding, to say the least. Prior to these views. His coffin bone was at a forward angle and flexor tendon was nearly a 90 degree angle under the navicular bone. This time it was nearly vertical. Which meant, a great improvement over all. Not only was he sore because his coffin bone was out of line with the navicular bone, it was causing a great deal of strain on the flexor tendon. Dr. told me to have the farrier put one more degree on the shoes. This should do the trick.
He definitely needs the injections done. The purpose is to alleviate all together; the inflammation in his joints. It also lubricates where the inflammation caused the normal fluid in his joints to be watered down. He may or may not need these again. Depending on what his job is in the future. Since we just use him for trail riding and pleasure. He probably (not 100% certain) won’t need them ever again. But, there are no guarantees it will work at all. I didn’t hesitate to tell the Dr., “let’s do it”. To me, this horse is worth the gamble. Two years I’ve been dealing with this situation, and have felt needlessly helpless. And, now, I finally found someone who has given me hope.
Mouse can’t be ridden for 2 days after the injections. Then he can return to normal duty. Not that he’s had very much do to. Eats, sleeps and dumps. What a life! That’s all about to change Mr. Mouse. Mouse is such a great mount. I can’t wait to ride him daily. Just the thought of it warms my heart. He’s such a people friendly horse. His pasture buddies don’t like him, not that he cares. Where ever we are, he’s right on our heels. I often refer to him as, “the little red caboose”. Always bringing up the rear. The cost of this whole ordeal, so far, is:
Previous Vet Visit:
- LF/RF Lateral Views $120.00
- Previcox Medication $ 30.00
- Much improved at a trot. Sore to hoof testers – RF slightly worse. $ 45.00
- X-RAY SET-UP; Angles are much improved. $ 00.00
- X-RAY FOOT LF $ 50.00
- X-RAY FOOT RF $ 50.00
- SEDATION W/TORBUGESIC $ 34.00
- INTRAARTICULAR INJECTION; both coffin joints. $160.00
- INTRAARTICULAR INJECTION W/HYLART $150.00
- PREVICOX 227mg 60 TABLETS $160.00
Grand total of: $799.00
This is not counting the cost of having him shod the day after the prior vet. visit.
Costing us: $130.00
Mouse will have to continue on the Previcox. For now, he will receive half a dose for 3 more weeks, then 1/4 of a dose, the rest of his life. It’s a small price to pay for his life.
Moral of this story is. Don’t ever buy a horse without a pre-exam check. Whether they show signs or not! If I had to do it all over gain; I would. He deserves the best care money can buy. He found his forever home.